(Please note, Tim asked me to change the last picture of us to this one. I didn't want to. I like that picture. So to make my dear hubby happy, I'm putting it here. However, I feel that the picture should be accompanied by some background, so why not tell you all just how we came to be. Yes, this should be some sort of anniversary post..... oh well.)
Utah State University.Tim was born and raised to be an Aggie. He followed several siblings to Logan, as well as his parents, though there have been rumors that his dad is a closet BYU fan. (We won't hold that against him.)
I (Cassie) ended up at Utah State because it was far enough away from home that I could have my independence, but close enough that I could come home to do laundry and grocery shop.
We met each other in May of 2001. Both of us had decided to stay up at school for summer semester for whatever reason, and ended up living in the same apartment complex, which we affectionately call Cambridge Courting. (quick side note: Tim and I have different versions of our meeting. Since I am posting this, mine is to be considered the "true and correct" version, regardless of what he adds or comments later... hee, hee) Tim was called to serve as the Activities co-chair person with my roommate. When I saw him, I asked Jen to please have her meetings at our apartment. She ever so kindly obliged. Tim knew darn well that Jen didn't get home from work until noon, but he would come over for their meeting at like 11:00am, an HOUR early. Hmmm... I wonder why?
I'll be honest, I did my fair share of stalking. He lived right by the mailbox. I checked my mail a couple times a day to see if maybe I would see him, or see his car to see if he was home. I was interested, after all.
A while after we met a group of us decided to go to a movie, Shrek, I believe. Tim came over to my apartment after to hang out for a bit. That "bit" turned in to a few hours, I didn't mind. When he left he asked if he could take me out. But not before he made his move. That's right, he kissed me before he even took me out!!! Now I wasn't objecting, by any means. He later said something like "why waste you time dating someone if they are a crappy kisser?" Apparently he was confident in his kissing abilities, and I guess I passed the test.
Within the next two weeks he had met my entire family. By entire I mean parents, sisters, brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, pets, everyone. I remember around the 4th of July we had a family BBQ and softball game. My aunts and cousins kept telling me how cute he was and funny and what a nice guy. He had their approval from the start.
Somewhere in the midst of all this, I was able to meet his sister Cherie who still lives in Logan, and her family (the Child's). He took me to her work because he had to "do something." I later found out that something was to introduce me to her. I guess I got a big thumbs up and was "a much better match than that other girl." Thanks Cherie! Over the summer we spent quite a bit of time with the Child clan and I absolutely fell in love with them!
At the end of June, beginning of July, I was able to start meeting the rest of Tim's family. Not all at once, just pieces at a time. It was a good thing it happened that way too. So many brothers and sisters and husbands, wives and kids to pair up with them all. WHEW! I'm so horrible with stuff like that and I didn't want to look like a total idiot. I loved them all. Everyone was nice and welcoming, and they all teased Tim! About his driving, his sleep walking/talking habits, this girl he was "dating" (me, we had gone out once or twice) amongst the many other things. It was great.
Then it was time for my next test. Mary Louise, Tim's mom, is a phenomenal pianist and teacher. I knew this, Tim had told me. We were at her house one day, I don't even think we were engaged yet and she asked me to play for her!!! I about pooped my pants! I had been up at school with no piano. I hadn't practiced for months, hadn't even TOUCHED a piano for weeks and she wanted me to play?!?!?! I expressed a little of this to her and she told me "it's just like riding a bike, come on." So I did. I played Jon Schmidt's Waterfall, the only song I had memorized in the last 4 years. I managed to get through it all right. When I was finished she told me my fingers were still in pretty good shape! Yahoo!!! Tim's dad, Linford, said "Looks like she can hold her own on the piano." Yahoo again!!! I had passed.
Here's the time line:
May - Tim and Cassie met
June - Tim and Cassie start dating
July - Everyone has met everyone
August 4th - Tim proposes to Cassie
And what a wonderful job he did on that proposal. He took me to dinner at some cute little Italian restaurant then told me we were going to a park. He drove up to this little park bench that over looks the Logan temple. We sat on the bench and he hands me this little bag of funny things. There was a Shrek book (first "date" remember?), some chap stick and lotion, because I can't live without those things, some tums because I had funky heart burn that summer. All these little things that would remind us of things that had happened that summer. While I was going through it and laughing my head off, he was getting down on one knee, said something like "will you marry me?" I said something like "yes." Then kissy kissy, smooch smooch and we were engaged.
We were married on November 7, 2001. Tim finished his bachelor's degree in May of 2002 and we moved to Salt Lake. After a few jobs and a couple apartments we ended up buying a house and continued waiting for our baby. On November 7, 2005 Alyssa was born. The best anniversary present you could ask for.
And that's how it all began.
4 comments:
Cas, you crack me up! This is really weird, though. Our time lines are almost identical, only Sam & I started dating in March & he proposed on August 14th (because that's his football number. dork!) And, and, I was up at Utah State at the same time. I went there fall semester '01. Do do, do do...
what a cute story! I don't think I ever knew your engagment story! :) You guys are so meant for eachother!!
Cassie,
It's so fun to hear how people met. You and Tim are so funny together. Thanks for letting me share in your blog!
jennifer
That was an awesome story! I have to say, I loved Logan! You know, I am from Tremonton, right? You probably know someone from there!
Alyssa is so lucky to have you two as her mommy and daddy! Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment