If you tend to get queasy looking at stitches, incisions and the like, you're probably not going to enjoy the following pictures. Let this be your warning. :)

This is the IV where Tim had fluids, anti-rejection meds, pain meds, anti-nausea meds and anything else you can think of pumped in to him. There was a tube, probably about 6 inches long, that went in to his neck, held in place with stitches around the light and dark blue box looking things. I guess the veins in your arm aren't big enough to handle all the stuff they had to pump in there, so they hit the jugular. This was the source of a lot of Tim's discomfort. Everything pulled on it. His gown, the nurses, rolling over, turning his head... not fun.
This is Timmy's incision. It's about 10 inches long and on his lower right abdomen. (I think I counted 31 staples, yowza!) His new kidney sits in this little pocket next to his hip. I like to think of it as an ovary. They leave his other two kidneys where they are, and eventually they kind of shrivel up like raisins. Unless they start releasing funky toxins in to his system, they don't bother with them.
This is Kim's tummy. Her incision is right above her belly button, about 4-5 inches, with two smaller incisions towards the left. Rumor has it the surgeon put his left hand in the incision, and moved her intestines and anything else that was in front of the kidney. Then with scopes through the other two incisions, cut the connector thingys (yes these are the medical terms, something also about veins, arteries and ureters) Then slid the kidney out just above her belly button. She definitely had the worse of the two surgeries. While we were in the hospital, she said if felt like she got punched in the stomach. Those curly-que wires? That's a lovely contraption, an ON-Q (sp?) ball, that delivers anesthetic directly to their incisions. They both had this little fanny pack/purse that hung out with them, just dripping in the good stuff. It was pretty cool to see them take it out. We thought the wire would be 2 or 3 inches going in to their tummy. Nope! More like 6... 8... it was freaking long.
Needless to say, I'm sure both our patients are more than thrilled to not be hooked up to all that stuff anymore.
11 comments:
I am SO thankful all is well. I just love your little family and have been thinking about you constantly. Loves and hugs to all...and thank you Kim!
Wow!! That is going to be a wicked scar! I am so glad to a smile on Tims face! Wow! Hang in there you two! I would love to do something! Let me know if you need anything!
Amazing what they have done through modern technology. Kim must be an amazing woman to voluntarily go through this for Tim!
What a journey! How amazing. I am so fascinated by the medical field. The fact that you can transfer body parts. I have to stop myself from trying to process it because it makes my head spine. Trully a miracle in every way. What a blessing. Wahoo, we love kidneys! New ones too that work! We love Angel sent blessings. I pray that Kim is blessed with everything she ever needs. Pray the battle is only uphill from here.
TIM and KIM!!!! THANK YOU!!!
Cas could you please forward my whole hearted 'thank yous' to your hubby and Kim? I am very happy you have become interested in someone elses insides.... Sorry they wouldnt let you in on the action as it was going down - Bummer!
I am just so happy for you guys! It's so good to see that everyone is healing well! So happy everything worked out!:) Prayers really do get answered!:)
We ae happy for you and that things are going well. Monica and Lisa did a little blog stalking and were able to find yours. We visited whit your parents here in Meadow on the 24th and they filled us in on your progress. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Robert, Carlene and kids.
Thanks for the update! We have been in Montana for the past week.
Glad that Tim is doing well. Travis R.
Tim and Cassie,
NEAT pictures!!! I love the scar! We are so happy for you both! What an amazing woman Kim is! Hope you don't mind that we shared your blog with the Beckstrands in Meadow...they have all been concerned about your family! Glad that it all went well!
So happy your all doing well. Love the pictures. I'm so proud of "your patients" for being so complying to your picture taking!!! You guys are the best.
What an amazing way they do surgery now..I'm so that that you were able to find someone to help and that all worked out. We'll be praying for both their recoveries as quickly as possible! :)
Post a Comment