As mentioned last year, I've been participating in a women's vocal group called Voices. It has been one of the few highlights over last few months...
A good friend of mine, Amy, called me at the end of the summer. She told me she had had this feeling to call me, and asked if I happened to sing. She told me about Voices. Practice every Tuesday morning, some Thursday mornings and a few rehearsals on some evenings, costumes, choreography and 17 rehearsals over a 2 week period in December, in a nutshell.
As so many people who know me know, my musical abilities tend to stick close to the piano. I've never had much confidence in my singing abilities, probably because good old Granny says our family can't carry a tune in a bucket. But, I decided, sure, why not?
We'd be performing during the Christmas season at different retirement communities, rehabilitation centers, Temple Square, and Alzheimer's centers. At first I thought how this would help me to feel the Christmas spirit. A feeling that I hadn't felt during the holidays for a long time because we've been so caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season. I was nervous, but so excited.
Then the group turned into so much more. Somewhere around October I found myself in a not-so-happy place. I needed to be surrounded by strong and faithful women in the gospel. The women in Voices were just what I needed. They didn't know anything that was going on in my life. That I was struggling, unhappy, stressed out of my ever loving mind. Yet I found support and love from them. They unknowingly lifted me up and helped me through my trial.
The season progressed and we started our performances. I cried at nearly everyone of them. Feeling the spirit and knowing that we were bringing Christmas joy to others. It was amazing.
I realized the hand of the Lord in my life. I know He prompted Amy to call me. He knew what I would need, long before I needed it and He used one of His faithful daughters to bless my life. I am so grateful that He knows me. He knows what I need to progress. I am grateful to have found my testimony again and that I am able to strengthen it and continue to grow in the gospel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love the ways the Lord finds to show us He loves us. Doesn't it feel so good to get the "light" back in your eyes.
Oh, yes. Are you performing again? I would LOVE to hear you!
It is SO good to have the light back, yes!
We usually do a spring season, but not this year. So we'll do singing Valentine's on the 14th, I'm not quite sure the details on that... Then we'll have spring and summer off, and resume for the Christmas season.
Sounds so wonderful. It reminded me of when they called me to the Stake Choir and I thought, that's a lot of work and commitment, but it ended up being one of my most spiritual experiances that really increased my testimony and love for the savior. Music is amazing. I'm happy you were able to feel the Christmas Spirit this year.
There is nothing like music to being the spirit in your life. If your ever looking for an alto, I'm available! I miss performing.
Can I request a personal seranade???(hee hee)
Post a Comment