Monday, August 20, 2007

Mind, Body and Spirit

(Please forgive me for the about to be freakishly long post with no pictures. If I can come up with something fabulous to use along with this, I'll slap it on here. If not, sorry dudes, this one is for me anyway.) Back to Mind, Body and Spirit. You're supposed to take care of all three right? Always be learning, eating right and exercising, and continuously growing spiritually? Well let me give y'all a little report on how I'm doing with these things. CRAPPY!!! Mostly with the eating right and exercising. So, I'm about to scream to the world (or the 2 or 3 peeps that read this) my goals and aspirations to do better! Mind As you may know I just finished taking a photography class. I LOVED IT!!! I loved learning something new, I loved having homework (something I never thought I would), and I love watching myself get better at it! I'm going to continue with this new found love and keep trying to improve. I want to learn more about lighting and editing, and I want to try new things out artistically so all my photos don't end up looking the same. The other thing I'm going to start learning, or doing more of, is singing. (Nobody laugh, and nobody ask me to sing, I won't.) My friend Amy asked me to join her vocal group. They practice every week from now until December. Then they sing all over the place for Christmas. They do company parties, ward parties, retirement homes, Temple Square, just a ton a performances. I really like to sing, but have ZERO confidence in my ability. Amy told me that the director teaches you how to do things differently in order to produce a better sound. So I'll be learning to sing better AND having fun at the same time! WAHOO!!! I'm way excited for this! Body Let's get serious here people. I eat like crap and I NEVER exercise. Unless you count chasing Alyssa, which I don't. Here's an example of what I ate one day last week, and I'm not joking. 9:00-ish Honeybutter-Cinnamon Scone and Large Pepsi from Sconecutter 12:30-ish Chicken Gordita Supreme, Nachos and another Pepsi from Taco Bell Somewhere between 2 and 5 while Alyssa was sleeping - Poptarts and Chocolate Milk Whenever we decided to eat dinner - Pizza Mixed in the middle of all this, I'm sure I ate fruit snacks and Peanut M&M's because they are no longer in my pantry. Did you see a vegetable in there anywhere? Only if you count the lettuce on my gordita! Let's just say that a diet like this doesn't help you to slim down into your skinny jeans. So what am I going to do about this? Well... I'm going to... stop...drinking...so...much...Pepsi. Ouch! That hurt to write! I'm only allowing myself one a week. Since I don't believe in punishing myself without seeing some type of result, I'm going to combine this with walking. I'm going to walk/run AT LEAST four times a week for 40 minutes. While I'm at it, the fast food HAS to go. If I must eat out, it's going to be a freaking salad. No more chicken gorditas, big bacon classics or chicken cord en bleu. And DEFINITELY no more honey butter cinnamon scones from Sconecutter. Bummer for me. Now if I haven't bored you yet, and you're still reading. Here's your assignment. 1- Slap that crap out of my hand if you see me going for it. 2- Ask me how my new eating guidelines are doing. If I have to report that they're not working out so well, I'll feel like a shmuck and force myself to do better. Spirit Here's my dirty little confession. I stink at reading my scriptures. I absolutely stink. I've never really been diligent in this department. But, as with everything else, I'm going to try to do better. I found this groovy little website, www.readthescriptures.com where you can set up your own reading schedule and they email you your reading assignment everyday. With as much time as I spend on my computer blog-hopping, checking my email, and now editing photographs, I might as well add a few minutes to read the scriptures. Well folks, if you've made it this far, you deserve an award. Thanks for stickin it out. You now know my dirty little secrets and short comings. Well, a couple of them anyway. We won't go into ALL of them. Good grief! No one has time for that! I may keep you posted on my progress, I may not. It depends on whether or not the progress is good. If it isn't, this post will probably end up deleted and I'll pretend that I never wrote it. It's much easier to ignore goals if they can't be found! Have a fantabulous week!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good for you cassie! I think I could lose some weight if I could give up the slurpee habit! But that is NOT going to happen. If you want to, you should come with Kim, Aubrey and I to Jazzercise! It is a lot of fun and it feels like it goes by so fast!

kimberly said...

Jen got to you before I could, but I was going to invite you to come to jazzercise with us. It is sooooo much fun and a great work out. The first time is free so you can check it out to see if you like it. We are going to go on Wednesday and Jen is driving, so plan on us coming by to get you at about 6:45 okay?

Unknown said...

cassie you are cute, I like this one. You can do it. If I can get up at 6:30 every other morning to go running YOU CAN TOO! I need to do the food part myself I am SO bad at eating. Lets make goals together!! and lastly good luck on your scripture study. I know not everyone is perfect, but it takes 2 weeks to make something to become a habit so if you read your scripturs every day for 2 weeks it will get eaiser!!

Renee said...

GASP!!! I'm so shocked about the pepsi...one a week...I'm rooting for you! I just decided to limit my cherry coke habit (dang, Sonic has those happy hour 1/2 priced drinks..but I'll just say NO!), see what an inspiration you are! We'll help each other.

Cassie said...

TWO invites to Jazzercise in ONE day!?!?! Count me in ladies!

mommyoffour said...

Ok, I am here to see how it is going?

I have to say, when I saw, "one Pepsi a week" I seriously that it was a typo!! I kept thinking that you meant one a DAY!!! You are the woman! If you have cut back that drastically, I am soooo very impressed.

I love my soda (sorry honey, it is coke! Although, I LOVE Cherry Pepsi... strange, I know!) and I would be proud of myself if I cut back to one a DAY!

I was thinking of you (and feeling guilty) today as I was drinking my XL coke from McDonald's! Ha!

Let me know how you are doing! How was jazzercise? How is the scripture reading going?

So very proud of you, keep up the good work!!

Aubrey said...

You are great CAssie for setting all these goals, and looking to do more. They always say to tell someone your goals or write them down it helps to keep them. Or to be more motivated. So did you make it to Jazzersize? I missed it, I was not too happy. Hopefully you made it and enjoyed it. :)